A Warm Winters Afternoon Photo shoot on Fire Island

the new boardwalk to the lighthouse
I was going cabin crazy in the middle of February and was waiting for a good snow-free day to walk.
The temperatures were predicted to rise into the low 50's and so I planned my location and took my Nikon along. The newest wide lens addition makes such an interesting look that I use it more than any other now.
Driving to the beach in the middle of a New York winter may sound crazy but I wasn't the only crazy person there.


The Robert Moses causeway leads south over shimmering the Great South Bay, two iron bridges, and onto the beaches.
Its not very far from my home and I didn't realize how much I missed this gem until I moved back to Long Island last year.

new grass on the front of lighthouse

My sights were set on an old standby-the Fire Island lighthouse.
Many photographers, amateur and professional alike, have shot her in every possible angle,weather,and season.


I have photographed her at least three time in the past few years. Once before Hurricane Sandy, a year after the hurricane and now more recently.

many visitors on this warm winter day
The difference in the beach was startling after the big storm washed all the dunes away.
I glad to say that the old girl is unharmed and looking better than ever.

There were many others wandering on the beach, on the newly restored boardwalks and around the lighthouse.
a visitor enjoying the warmth of the winter sun
It's good to see that it is appreciated and well cared for.
To see more images of this day please go to my photography website.

No comments:

Post a Comment